Mooncake 月餅 is the indispensable Chinese dessert served through the mid-autumn pageant which falls on the 15th of August of the Chinese lunar calendar. That is the right time for me to share with you the mooncake recipe that I’ve just made.
The fashion and function of this festive dessert have advanced significantly in the modern-day. Numerous cake outlets and eating places produce mooncakes with totally different varieties and design, packed in the deluxe packing containers with the elegant ornament.
It has also grow to be a fad to buy mooncake as a present among kinfolk, associates, and business associates to rejoice the Mid-Autumn Pageant.
In consequence, the worth of mooncakes has escalated every year due to high demand. The promoting worth is many folds compared to the cost of the elements. Subsequently, I assumed that is close to absurdity and trigger me to I should develop a simple recipe that everyone can comply with to make it at house.
In addition to, since mooncake has grow to be too business right now, so in case you are utilizing your do-it-yourself mooncake as a present, they may value your sincerity, arduous work, and effort.
Making mooncakes does require some talent, and tedious when you begin from scratch. Subsequently, this mooncake recipe is about how to make the normal Cantonese fashion mooncakes through the use of the ready-made filling, with simplified steps to save time.
It may be completed within an hour. So let’s get began.
Word: This submit might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please read my privateness coverage for more info. I’ll obtain commissions for purchases made by way of links on this publish.
Word: The explanation is long as a result of I would like to cowl all elements which will affect the outcomes, however the precise work is sort of simple.
Necessary: You want a kitchen scale to measure all the components accurately. Aside from that, the recipe has a big margin of error.
- 1 1. Getting ready the dough
- 2 2. Prepare the filling
- 3 3. To assemble the mooncake
- 4 four. Molding and baking
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 Elements
- 7 Directions
- 8 Notes
- 9 Beneficial Merchandise
1. Getting ready the dough
The first part of this mooncake recipe is to put together the dough. There are solely four components required – golden syrup, lye water, vegetable oil, and plain flour.
Listed here are the steps on how to make it:
- Measure the quantity of golden syrup, lye water, and vegetable oil accurately with a kitchen scale. Combine nicely.
- Sieve the flour. Add abruptly to the above mixture.
- Use a fork or a stainless-steel wire whisk to combine all of the components. It is arduous to mix firstly, however after a number of stirs, the liquid will start to wet the flour to type a sticky mass. Ultimately, it is going to grow to be a smooth dough that picks up all of the flour in the mixing bowl.
- Cowl the dough with cling wrap. Refrigerate for thirty minutes to let the dough loosen up. It is more manageable to work with a relaxed dough which is extra elastic. Consequently, it won’t break or crack simply throughout shaping and wrapping.
Now let’s take a look at every ingredient intimately.
Golden syrup is an inverted sugar. Inverted sugar is a mix of two simple sugars, i.e., glucose and fructose, as opposed to the common sugar, which is sucrose. It is ready by boiling the common sugar with an acid similar to lemon juice until it becomes a thick amber-colored syrup.
I’ve seen some mooncake recipe use honey, not golden syrup. You should use honey as the substitute, and omit the lye water as honey shouldn’t be acidic. (Lye water neutralize the sourness of golden syrup). Nevertheless, the pastry is probably not as gentle as those made with golden syrup, and the colour of the pastry is on the lighter aspect. It additionally tends to be barely sweeter than mooncake that made with golden syrup with the same amount.
The aim of the golden syrup
Why can we use golden syrup as an alternative of the regular sugar to make mooncake? There are a number of reasons:
- It retains extra moisture and subsequently produces a extra tender pastry than with regular sugar.
- It additionally helps to scale back the speed of staling of starch, thereby extending the shelf life of the mooncake.
- It helps to reabsorb the oil from the filling of the mooncake back to the pastry, subsequently further soften the pastry.
I favor to use vegetable oil with a impartial flavor, resembling corn oil, peanut oil, canola oil, and palm oil. Some individuals favor lard, nevertheless it has turn into unpopular just lately as there’s a concern concerning the well being concern. Moreover, there’s a giant inhabitants right here who do not eat pork. Pork-free products are the development now because everybody in our group can take pleasure in it.
Lye water (kansui/枧水 )
Lye water is alkaline and subsequently neutralize the bitter taste due to the presence of acid in the golden syrup. By doing so, we will rip the good thing about the golden syrup that creates a smooth pastry without the sour style.
Lye water darkens the color of the pastry. Improve the quantity of lye water if the color of the mooncake is just too pale after baking for twenty minutes.
Selfmade lye water
Because the function of lye water is to neutralize the acid, meaning different alkaline elements will do the trick if lye water is unavailable. I don’t recommend you achieve this, as lye water is available within the Chinese group. Nevertheless, in the occasion you’ll be able to’t discover this item, you need to use baking soda and water because the substitute.
To do so, bake one portion of baking soda at 175°C/350°F for thirty minutes. Then add 4 portions of water to dissolve the baking soda. Use this liquid because the substitute for lye water.
Cake flour is right for making mooncake. It has enough gluten to type the dough but is just not too much that may harden the gentle pastry.
Because the quantity of water varies among totally different manufacturers of golden syrup, the quantity of flour required to type the gentle dough shouldn’t be the identical. Because of this, I will add ninety-five % of the flour to the oil and golden syrup mixture, then add the rest slowly to the suitable consistency, if essential.
2. Prepare the filling
The lotus paste
You possibly can both buy the ready-made lotus paste or make your personal.
In case you are prepared to spend some time to make the lotus paste filling, make your personal is one of the best since you possibly can control the sweetness, softness and the texture. I want to head to my bakery specialty store to get the ready-made one to save time.
Notice: Lotus paste just isn’t out there in each a part of the word, however it is the most commonly used filling for mooncake. You can even use purple bean paste to exchange lotus paste for the normal Cantonese mooncake, which is accessible on-line at Amazon.
I’ve read some recipe with difficult steps to making mooncake, however I promise my recipe is straightforward 🙂 Take a look at this equation:
Pastry + Salted Egg Yoke + Lotus Paste = Cantonese fashion mooncake.
I am utilizing the salted egg recent from the market since they have the whole lot that I want. You should purchase the salted egg yolk (with the egg white removed) on-line too.
Listed here are the steps:
- Clear the salted egg, then crack it open.
- Take away the egg yolk.
- Wash the egg yolk with water to remove the egg white sticking to the yolk. We only want the yolk.
- Use a bit of fabric or kitchen paper towel to pat dry.
- Wrap the yolk with the lotus paste
Though I want to wrap the egg yolk with the lotus paste without pre-cook the egg yolk, I’ve carried out a easy check to validate two methods to prepare dinner the egg yolk as recommended by some mooncake recipes.
- 1. Steam the egg yolk with a tablespoon of wine for 5 minutes. Accordingly, the aim of the wine is to remove the uncooked egg yolk odor.
- 2. Soak the yolk with oil, then bake it for five minutes. Drizzle some cooking oil to the egg yolk, combine nicely and put aside for an hour. This step is to let the egg yolk take in the oil. Place the egg yolk on the baking tray and bake at 175°C till the floor of the egg yolk starts to turn to lighter colour and oil bubbles surrounded the yolks. It’s going to take about 5 minutes of baking to happen. Because the mooncake is baked at high temperature, the egg yolk might be heated up, and the oil will combine the yolk with the filling. The egg yolk will detach from the lotus paste if the paste you employ accommodates too little oil.
The outcome :
The end result clearly confirmed that the baked egg yolk separated from the filling. It might be due to I overbaked it, which end in shrinkage of the yolk. The steamed egg yolk appears overcooked slightly, while the perfect result’s from the one that was simply clear with water and pat dry.
Unnecessary say, I’ll neither bake or steam the egg yolk, which doesn’t show any vital advantages. The salted egg yolk might be cooked as this are mini measurement mooncakes.
3. To assemble the mooncake
Measure the elements
The ratio of pastry to filling is crucial. A superb mooncake ought to have a thin layer of pastry with loads of fillings. The ratio ought to be one part of pastry to two elements of fillings. A skillful chef can use even much less pastry to encase the filling.
I exploit 18g of pastry to 35g of filling. The load of the filling is the mixture of the lotus paste and the yolk. Because the weight of the yolk varies, just put the yolk on the weighing scale and add the lotus paste up to 35g.
Wrap the egg yolk contained in the lotus paste
To assemble the mooncake is simpler then what’s described in a lot of the recipes. There isn’t any specific method involved. So you are able to do it your approach as long as the egg yolk is absolutely wrapped inside the lotus paste.
I favor to use my hand to form it right into a circle with the middle slightly thinner than the sting.
- Place the egg yolk at the middle. (You should use half egg yolk in the event you choose extra lotus paste.)
- Wrap the egg yolk with the lotus paste.
- Close the top by pushing up the paste to the highest.
- Roll it right into a ball. Put aside.
- Should you really feel that it’s too tender to deal with, maintain it within the refrigerator for some time until it turns into firmer earlier than start wrapping with the pastry.
Wrap the filling with the pastry
Wrapping the filling with the pastry is more delicate than coping with the egg yolk and the lotus paste. A very good quality mooncake should have a skinny pastry with constant thickness.
- One of the easiest methods to achieve this is to roll out the pastry in between two plastic sheets or cling wraps. Roll the pastry to a circle about 3 times of the dough. You could find a totally different technique of wrapping in other mooncake recipes, which is the individual choice of various recipe builders.
- Remove the cling movie on prime, fold the pastry in the direction of the filling.
- Pinch away the surplus pastry the place the pastry is double folded to guarantee consistent thickness. You possibly can paste the surplus pastry on prime where the filling continues to be uncovered.
- Roll the mooncake together with your palms to type a ball. This action additionally ensures the pastry has absolutely adhered to the filling without gaps in between. In any other case, the filling might detach from the pastry after baking
four. Molding and baking
Shaping the mooncake
- Roll the mooncake in a bowl crammed with some flour. Shake off the surplus flour. This step is to ensure the dough won’t stick to the mould during shaping.
- Similarly, plunge the piston of the mooncake mould to the flour, and shake off the surplus.
- Place the dough on the baking tray.
- Put the mooncake mould on the dough and plunge the piston downward. The dough will take the form of the mould, and the sample can be printed on the floor.
- Plunge the mould down frivolously to the dough repeatedly for at the least seven to ten occasions to get a perfect shape. Otherwise, the mooncake will look lopsided and with a blurred pattern.
Bake the mooncake
- Bake it on the center rack, 175°C/350°F prime and bottom temperature for 5 to six minutes or until the floor start to firm up. Some mooncake recipes use a special temperature however it is all acceptable. It is important to let it agency up earlier than eradicating them to apply the egg wash. Otherwise, it should find yourself with a blurred pattern.
- Remove the mooncake from the oven and brush the surface of the mooncake with egg wash.
- Use a kitchen paper towel to take away any excess egg wash trapped within the gaps of the pattern.
- Return the mooncake to bake for an additional ten minutes or till golden brown.
Word: In case you find that the mooncake cracks throughout baking, attempt to spray some water to the mooncake before baking. It ought to be only one or two sprays from a distance in order that there will probably be no excessive water lands on any part of the mooncakes.
- Remove the cake from the oven to cool at room temperature.
- Switch the mooncake to an hermetic container and maintain for 3 days. During this era, the oil from the filling will migrate to the thin layer of pasty, resulting in a very mushy and moist outer layer.
As I discussed, this is the essential conventional mooncake recipe. You possibly can add melon seed to the lotus paste, or use purple bean paste or 5 kernels as an alternative of lotus paste because the filling.
The opposite variation known as Snow Pores and skin Mooncake, through which the method doesn’t contain baking at all. It is solely a special mooncake recipe which will probably be mentioned separately.
Word: In case you like this mooncake recipe, likelihood is you want Chinese pastries. I might recommend you also attempt the Taiwanese pineapple cake, which is my favourite Chinese dessert.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
- 10 salted egg yolk
- 220g store-bought lotus paste (See observe)
- Egg wash to brush the mooncake
For the dough:
- Mix golden syrup, lye water, and vegetable oil accurately in a mixing bowl.
- Sieve the flour. Add suddenly to the above mixture.
- Mix all the components.
- Place the dough on a bit of cling wrap. Refrigerate for thirty minutes to let the dough loosen up.
For the filling:
- Wash the salted egg yolk with water to take away the white sticking to the yolk. Pat dry.
- Wrap the yolk with the lotus paste
- Then roll it right into a ball. Set aside.
- Roll out the pastry in between two plastic sheets or cling wraps.
- Remove the cling movie on prime, fold the pastry towards the filling.
- Pinch away the surplus pastry where the pastry is double folded to guarantee consistent thickness.
- Roll the mooncake together with your palms to type a ball.
- Roll the mooncake on a floor dusted with flour.
- Plunge the piston of the mould to the flour, and shake off the excess.
- Place the dough on the baking tray.
- Put the mooncake mould on the dough and plunge the piston downward. The dough will take the shape of the mould, and the sample can be imprinted on the surface.
- Bake it on the center rack, 175°C/350°F prime and bottom temperature for five minutes or till the floor begins to agency up.
- Take away the mooncake from the oven and brush the surface of the mooncake with egg wash.
- Bake for an additional ten minutes or until golden brown.
- Take away the cake from the oven to cool at room temperature.
- Transfer the mooncake to an airtight container and maintain for 3 days earlier than serve.
The actual amount of lotus paste depends upon the load of the salted egg yolk. The full weight of the filling (yolk + lotus paste) is 35g for each mooncake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 140 Complete Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 84mg Sodium: 53mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 3g
This knowledge was offered and calculated by Nutritionix on 7/19/2019