Vegan arepas, full of a scrumptious plant-based filling, made with black beans, plantain and mashed avocado. They’re so filling and very flavorful.
I confirmed you find out how to make arepas in the earlier publish and now I need to share my favourite filling to make vegan arepas with you guys.
Though arepas are vegan, most fillings aren’t as a result of they’re often made with meat and cheese, but not this one!
I used black beans, plantain and mashed avocado to stuffed my arepas. I also added some pink onion, nevertheless it’s optionally available. That is a tremendous mixture and it’s to die for. You actually need to provide it a attempt.
Black beans are one among my favourite sources of plant-based protein in the whole world, however please be happy to make use of any sort of beans as an alternative. Plantains are straightforward to get, however in the event you can’t find them in your native supermarket, sweet potato can also be a sensible choice.
You possibly can use some guacamole as an alternative of the mashed avocado and you can additionally saute the pink onion in a skillet slightly bit in case you don’t like raw onion. Will probably be simpler to digest as nicely.
elements for vegan arepas
These are the elements you’ll have to make this vegan arepas recipe:
- Additional virgin olive oil – I’m Spanish, so I exploit additional virgin olive oil to prepare dinner most of my dishes. Nevertheless, any sort of oil is okay. I all the time use additional virgin oils when attainable because they’re healthier. Oil is optionally available on this recipe, although.
- Black beans – Canned black beans are so convenient, but I want to prepare dinner them from scratch. I make them in my Prompt Pot in huge batches for the week and I don’t add any salt. Please use different forms of beans or legumes if you’d like.
- Ground cumin – Be happy to add any spices you’ve available.
- Garlic powder – I want to use garlic powder because I discover it tremendous handy. Nevertheless, recent garlic is an effective selection as nicely. Simply saute it just a little bit earlier than including the black beans and the spices to the skillet.
- Salt – I all the time use Himalayan pink salt. Any sort of salt is okay, though.
- Ground black pepper – Recent ground black pepper tastes superb. Nevertheless, I find store-bought extra handy and in addition easier to measure with a teaspoon.
- Plantains – In the event you can’t find plantains, sweet potato is an effective various.
- Lemon or lime juice.
- Arepas – Comply with my recipe to get delicious and excellent arepas. They’re really easy to make!
- Pink onion – You possibly can omit the pink onion or saute it to make it simpler to digest.
methods to make vegan arepas
- Prepare dinner the beans. Add the oil to a skillet and when it’s scorching, add the beans, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper, stir and prepare dinner over medium-high warmth for 3 to five minutes or until the beans are scorching, stirring sometimes. Set aside. When you don’t need to use oil, just add some water or vegetable stock.
- Prepare dinner the plantains. Add the oil to a skillet and when it’s scorching, add the plantain slices and prepare dinner over medium-high heat for Three to 5 minutes both sides or until golden brown. Take away from the heat, add the plantain slices to a bowl, add salt and pepper and put aside. When you don’t need to use oil, bake the plantain slices at 375ºF or 190ºC for 15 minutes for one aspect and 5 minutes extra for the opposite aspect or till golden brown.
- Mash the avocados. Mash the avocados with a fork, add the lemon or lime juice and the salt, and mash again until properly mixed.
- Assemble the arepas. Cut up the arepas in half with a serrated knife. Spread the mashed avocado, add some plantain slices, some black beans and eventually, some chopped pink onion (non-compulsory). Repeat with all the remaining arepas. Greatest when recent, hold leftovers (separate from one another) within the refrigerator for 3-Four days.
in search of extra black bean recipes?
did you make this vegan arepas recipe?
Please depart a comment under, share it, price it or tag an image @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d like to see what you prepare dinner!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 15 minutes
- Complete Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 arepas 1x
- Class: Fundamental Dish
- Delicacies: Venezuelan, Vegan
Vegan arepas, full of a delicious plant-based filling, made with black beans, plantain and mashed avocado. They’re so filling and very flavorful.
for the black beans
- 1 tbsp additional virgin olive oil, optionally available
- 1 and half cups canned or cooked black beans (250 g), drained and rinsed, see notes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/Four tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/eight tsp ground black pepper
for the plantains
- 1 tbsp additional virgin olive oil, elective
- 2 plantains, sliced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp floor black pepper
for the mashed avocado
- 2 avocados
- 2 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 1/eight tsp salt
for the vegan arepas
- 10 arepas
- Three tbsp chopped pink onion, non-compulsory
for the beans
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the beans and the spices (cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper), stir and prepare dinner over medium-high warmth for about Three-5 minutes or until the beans are scorching, stirring sometimes. Put aside. When you don’t need to use oil, just add some water or vegetable stock.
for the plantains
- Warmth the oil in a skillet, add the plantain slices and prepare dinner over medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes both sides or until golden brown. Take away from the heat, add the plantain slices to a bowl, add salt and pepper and put aside. For those who don’t need to use oil, simply bake the plantain slices at 375ºF or 190ºC for 15 minutes for one aspect and 5 minutes extra for the opposite aspect or till golden brown.
for the mashed avocado
- Mash the avocados with a fork, add the lemon juice and the salt and mash once more until nicely mixed.
for the vegan arepas
- Cut up the arepas in half with a serrated knife. Unfold the mashed avocado, add some plantain slices, some black beans and eventually, some chopped purple onion. Repeat with all the remaining arepas.
- Greatest when recent, maintain leftovers (separate from each other) within the refrigerator for Three-4 days.
- I cooked the black beans from scratch, so I used 1 and 1/2 cups or 250 g of cooked black beans. Add kind of salt depending in your style and in addition should you’re utilizing salted or unsalted beans. You possibly can omit it if you’d like.
- Recipe impressed by Meals52.
- Serving Measurement: 1 arepa (of 10)
- Energy: 304
- Sugar: 5.7 g
- Sodium: 363 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fats: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.5 g
- Fiber: 7.1 g
- Protein: 6.1 g